Thursday, April 19, 2012

Diagnosis Confirmed

So the illness I contracted from a bacteria-riddled child has been identified.  It is--and I quote--"the worst sinus infection I've seen in years." According to my physician...So I've got one week to kick this thing or it's into the OR to have an exploratory nasal endoscopy and possible endoscopic sinus surgery.  I'll spare you the details of just how disgusting this infection really is, but few people know that if sinus infections are bad enough, and are left untreated, they can lead to abscesses in the brain and even be fatal.  Mine--thankfully--has not reached that stage yet, but it is well on it's way.

As a result of this infection, I've been given massive doses of antibiotics, as well as a steroid shot and steroid pills to try to reduce the inflammation enough to let the nastiness drain out of my sinuses and give me a chance of beating this thing without the need for surgery.  The steroids are wreaking havoc with my body.  I have gone insane.  I'm ravenously hungry...all the time.  I do my best not to eat or I will weigh 500 pounds by the time this subsides.  I can't sit down.  I've taken the dogs for a walk.  I've cleaned the shit out of my house.  I feel like I have an engine inside of me and it's revving to go...alas it is 10:15, I'm pretty sick--by most standards--and the only thing I probably should be doing is going to bed.  So, I'm going to give it a shot.  I'm hoping watching some monotonously boring TV show will lull me into a restful slumber.  I think Anthony Bourdain should do...

No comments:

Post a Comment