Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sweet death bring me relief...

I love my job.  I really do.  Taking care of little kids and being a part of making a sick child well--it's one of the most rewarding careers imaginable.  Knowing you had your hand in it, no matter how insignificant, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Getting to calm a child's fears as you take them from the comfort of their mother's arms.  Having them trust you, and cling to you for comfort...it's a feeling that can't be described.  I love my job...I love kids.  I love helping kids.  Some kids are more of a handful than others...*insert props to all those school teachers out there.**  Unlike teachers, the majority of my work with children occurs when they are asleep.  I calm their fears and make going to sleep for surgery as non-frightening as possible.  Then they're asleep and I don't have the usual kid problems to deal with.  Makes getting your job done a lot easier.  I have major respect for teachers!

But there is, alas, a downside to working with children.  They are adorable, yes.  Fun to be around, yes.  But they are also little germ-infested bacteria breeding grounds.  They carry so many different illnesses I can't even begin to tally them up here.  Once you've worked with them long enough, you begin to develop an immunity to the cooties kids carry around.  My first year as a nurse, I was sick at least 4 times a year.  Over time that number has diminished, but I still--on occasion--contract some bug that I have no doubt I caught from some sick, snotty kid.  Such is the case now.  102 temperature, chills, cough, headache, and body aches.  I am trying to tell myself it isn't the flu, after all I did have my mandatory flu shot this year!  But as this progresses, it is becoming strikingly similar to the old flu bug.

To say I feel miserable would be an understatement...

No comments:

Post a Comment